Friday, October 5, 2007

Open door policy - a classic Seinfeld moment

One of the first things I noticed and slowly developed when I migrated to the US was to hold the door open for the man/woman following me to the door and people are generally appreciative of it. While it is always easier when you have someone following right behind, a tricky situation arises when the person is not close enough to pass the baton, and far enough that you have to go out of the way to hold the door open? As Shakespeare would have put it - To hold the door or not is the question.

Having found myself in one such awkward situation today, I decided to let go and was the recipient of the most scornful look I had ever received from the person who followed me (Classic Seinfeld (George Costanza) moment!), and that has made me write this post. Since I am pretty confident that the Fab Four in Seinfeld have not discussed this burning issue in day today American life, I would like to know from my readers if there is a thumb rule to this great tradition that I should know and follow.

Let me know your comments!

3 comments:

dakalti said...

i think its just like the case of TIPS in US. What is supposed to be a token of appreciation has turned into non-govermental surcharge tax of at least 15%.

dakalti said...

Blog comment policy- when someone reads your blog and comments, respond by acknowledging their comment or visit their blog and make a comment. No more comments if you dont do this in next 2 days:)

Naga said...

I agree with your comment on tips. When I recently moved from Texas to Chicago, I didn't tip the movers since they broke a couple of decently expensive items. One of the guys had the nerve to point out that I didn't tip him. Just like, when the service is above and beyond expectations a generous tip is warranted, when the service is well below par it should be expected to be proportionally deficient.